Search This Blog

Monday 29 February 2016

A MERMAID'S TALE






A little girl I know is going to school on World Book Day dressed as a mermaid.

'How are you going to get there?' I asked.
'I'll swim' she replied.

Her chosen book for the day is The Singing Mermaid by Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks which she'll carry  with her.  Every child in her school will be dressed as their favourite book character  as they swim, walk, run or saunter into the classroom on Thursday morning.

And this little girl had a difficult decision to make as the bookcase in her bedroom is crammed full of her favourite stories - and  some of her mother's favourite childhood books too.

'Join our Festival of Imagination' says the World Book Day website 'turning millions of kids into millions of readers.'

 Now I'm a fan of e-books - my debut novel Baggy Pants and Bootees reached  7,000 in the Amazon kindle charts  - but the physical book is a joy that will never go out of fashion.

For many of you a love of books began in childhood, but do you remember the one that held you spellbound more than all the rest? And what are the children in your family doing on World Book Day?  I'd love to hear from you.

World Book Day is on Thursday March 3 2016

NB If you are  having trouble joining my google site please click 'subscribe to guernseygirlie.blogspot.com' on my blog page.

BFG costume kit


You can find out more about World Book Day here

5 comments:

Elaineyross said...

Mine was Jessica's First Prayer by Hesba Stretton but way back then I was introduced to it by you! I remember the first book you gave to my son Jon and that was Sam cat and Dudley pig by Richard Scarry. Then of course there was the one Diane shared with me and that was Three go to Switzerland by Mabel Esther Allen. All bring back such wonderful memories. X

Guernsey Girl said...

Hesba Stretton was the pen name of Sarah Smith (1832-1911)
She made up the pen name Hesba from the initials of her own first name and those of her children. Stretton came from a place she had visited!

Barbara said...

Hello Marilyn, I do indeed remember – The lion the witch and the wardrobe had a huge impact on me. I still remember exactly how I felt when Lucy went through the wardrobe to Narnia. It’s a shame the film didn’t live up to the book (in my estimation).

I don’t think my granddaughters dressed up for World Book Day, or maybe they did and I’ve yet to see the photos.

I wonder if you saw the photograph of two small children on Facebook one was holding a hairdryer and the other a toaster with the words World Book Day my kids are going as page 110 and 113 of the Argos catalogue it made me chuckle.

Guernsey Girl said...

Hello Barbara - I DID see those two children and it really made me laugh! Top marks to the parents for quick thinking. My girls loved The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when they were young. Happily, you never forget your childhood favourites.

Barbara said...

It made me laugh too Marilyn, and I still chuckle whenever I think about it.
I will be back to read your newest post soon. xx