Search This Blog

Monday 22 June 2015

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know

I came across a piece on actor Rupert Everett this week in an eighties copy of Cosmopolitan magazine (yes - I'm a hoarder!) The Most Promising Actor of 1982 and star of 'Another Country,' was interviewed by journalist and soon-to-be TV star Paula Yates. He told her;  'I want to be successful not just famous, and not just for lots of money. I want to be in position where I can choose what do, which parts I'll play.'
 
Interesting then, that Everett was quoted this week as saying people now think they have right to everything they want.





'People have forgotten how to communicate, he says. 'Even sex is conducted online. No one's looking outwards anymore. We've been trained over the last 30 years to be as selfish as possible. 

In the new X Factor world it's enough just to want it. The creative mantra is, 'I want this so much.' They want it so they have a right to have it.' 

 

I am sure Rupert Everett has worked very hard for his success and  deserves everything he has achieved, but isn't it amazing how the years can change our views?

 

The actor, who is now 56, is currently in the Italian coastal town of Taormina, which has been hosting the 61st Taormina Film Festival this week.

 

Read the full article here



 






 

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Marilyn, I'm not sure I can remember what my views were in the eighties, but I’m sure they have changed dramatically over the years. My dad used to say we get wiser as we get older, but I think I've just become more cynical. Thinking about it that might be what he was getting at. Soon be the weekend – hope you have a good one. Barbara.

Guernsey Girl said...

That is so perceptive, Barbara - yet I didn't see it! Perhaps it proves that your theory is right - we must be getting cynical!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Love Rupert ... yes, I think we get a bit more cynical as we get older, or maybe we just get wiser.

Guernsey Girl said...

I'm still aiming for wisdom over cynicism, Francie, and hope over expectation! Thanks for stopping by,