Search This Blog

Monday 9 February 2015

When the past came calling...

Today I viewed a remarkable video that brought the past to life for me in a way nothing else could.
On May 9, 1945 the German Military Occupation of Guernsey ended after five long years.
The events of this day and the years before  had been recounted by my grandparents when I was a child until I felt I had lived through it all myself.
I never tired of hearing their stories, I always wanted to hear more.
Like many others, my grandparents lost a son in the war and never stopped grieving for him.
Eleven-year-old David was evacuated to Oldham, Lancashire in 1940 with his fourteen-year-old brother, Harold James Brown.
Harold arrived back on the island in 1945 married to my mother.
David died of meningitis in 1942 and never came home again.
 
My second novel, due out later this year, is set in the Occupation of Guernsey. I hope it will serve as tribute to everyone who paid dearly for the island's freedom - some with their lives.
 
It will be dedicated to you
David Richard Brown
The uncle I never met.
 
My sincere thanks go to Steven le Provost for allowing me to reproduce this film which was taken by Dr Richard Sutcliffe with colour film he had kept hidden from the Germans
throughout the Occupation.
 
Le Provost Films

To see the video please click on the link below.

 https://www.facebook.com/MarilynChapmanAuthor

4 comments:

Heather Burnside said...

That's really touching Marilyn. Thanks for sharing.

Guernsey Girl said...

I'm so glad you liked the film, Heather. I can't stop looking at it...

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Always learn from you.
(())

Guernsey Girl said...

And I can always rely on your for compliments, Francie...;)