Search This Blog

Thursday 12 February 2015

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY HAIR ? GRAN WOULD BE FURIOUS....

While celebrities attended the Berlin premiere of Fifty Shades of Grey last night,  a mystery  middle-aged British woman was busy emulating the book's success.

The woman, from Wellington Women's Institute in  Somerset, forsook  the more usual Jam and Jerusalem  to pen an erotic short story along the lines of E L James' raunchy best seller.

According to The Times newspaper the short story,  published in a charity anthology,  has been 'described as filth by both delighted and appalled readers.' 

Retired writer  Bridget Hodges who set up the WI writing group -  called Monumental  Women's Ink after the town's monument -  wanted members to try a different style or genre every month. 'When Fifty Shades came out we talked about it quite a bit,' said the sixty-three year old. 'We thought we would all have a go.  Some didn't seem very keen. It's not for the faint-hearted.'

Titled 'The Conquering Gibraltarian Adonis' the  three- page story, about a husband's return after a long period working abroad, is preceded by a warning to those who may be of a delicate disposition.

One such person is WI member Enid Ray who told her local weekly newspaper 'One does not expect such smut from a group involved in the WI. I was wholly shocked when I read this section. I can't believe they had the nerve to print it.'

The author, according to Mrs Hodges, has asked to remain anonymous - because 'her gran would be furious!'

Meanwhile, the £4 book, a selection of poetry and fiction,  has sold  three quarters of the 200 printed to raise money for cancer treatment at Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton.

After today's headlines,  no doubt that they will be needing a reprint very soon. What do you think?


 

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Hello Marilyn, how deliciously funny! I don’t know how I missed it on the local news, but I did, so I’m glad you shared it here. I tried the WI once a few years back, but I found it all a little old-fashioned perhaps it’s time to try again!

Guernsey Girl said...

I think that's a great idea, Barbara! Pity we don't live nearer or we could go together :)

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

We are old, not dead :)) I too think it's lough out loud funny. I do admit I'd rather leave most to my own imagination, but some people don't have much imagination and need it spelled out for them, ha.
"If you want to get ahead get a hat..." Oh I love that too! Used to wear hats in the 60's and 70's and actually get dressed up to go to church and out ! Now people go shopping in their pj's. That's a sad change I think.

Guernsey Girl said...

Some change is bad, Francie - especially the sight of people shopping in heir pj's! But why do this generation think we know nothing about procreation, or what might lead to it? I love your phrase 'We are old, not dead.' I might just use it again. I do hope all is well with you x