Search This Blog

Saturday 28 December 2013

FAST FOOD MAKES YOU FAT, SAY McDONALD'S - IS THIS THE BEST STORY OF THE YEAR?

The Times Newspaper, December 28, 2013


The Best Story of the Year award must go to McDonald's who set up a lifestyle website for their employees - and warned them of the challenge of fast food!

The McResource website apparently warned employees that 'although not impossible, it is more of a challenge to eat healthily when going to a fast food place.'  The web page was even illustrated with what looked amazingly like a double cheeseburger with fries, labelled as an 'unhealthy choice.'

'While convenient and economical for a busy lifestyle, fast foods are typically high in calories, fat, saturated fat, sugar and salt and may put people at risk of becoming overweight,' it went on. 'In general, people with high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease must be very careful about choosing fast food.'

 According to today's Times newspaper, the website has now been dismantled after a 'McFlurry of complaints. ' A combination of factors has led us to re-evaluate, and we've directed the vendor to take down the website,' McDonald's said in a statement.

Unfortunately the same  lifestyle feature writers had seemingly no idea how much  the company's employees were actually paid (around £5.45 an hour,) judging by their advice for tipping at Christmas.  Housekeepers, they reckoned, should receive 'the equivalent of one day's pay,' whilst pool cleaners 'the cost of one cleaning.'   And as for the au pair, well  I think you're  getting the picture.

Meanwhile, I hear that McDonald's staff have been demonstrating outside their restaurants recently in the hope of  doubling their pay. Perhaps the powers-that-be will find more appropriate ways of spending their money in future?

 

4 comments:

Another Guernseyman said...

I agree - what a story. I was just about to make a turkeyburger till I read your blog. Oh well, I'll just have to eat a home-grown tomato sandwich instead. Happy New Year from Guernsey.

Guernsey Girl said...

Thanks,Mr Tomato-grower. Isn't it amazing that multi-millionaire companies can still make a mess of their marketing? And a very Happy New Year to you, too.

Barbara said...

Hello Marilyn, I just looked in to wish you a Very Happy New Year, but I’m leaving with a big smile on my face. I missed that particular news story, so I was very glad to read about it here. How funny, I hope the website designer was paid before the site was taken down! Happy New Year and thank you for all your comments during 2013. Barbara.

Guernsey Girl said...

And a Happy New Year to you too, Barbara. I really meant it when I said on your blog that it's the best one I've read all year!