Search This Blog

Monday 15 July 2013

One flew over the Cuckoo's nest - or did it?

The Cuckoo's Calling received unprecedented praise from readers and other crime novelists
 
The Cuckoo's Calling by - er - JK Rowling?
 
Congratulations to Orion's fiction editor Kate Mills  for admitting she turned down 'Robert Galbraith's' debut novel The Cuckoo's Calling. So she rejected the world's best selling author?  Well, good for her, I say, for having the  courage to admit it.
 
In a world of 'it wasn't me, Sir honest' when no-one seems to take responsibility for their actions, I found her confession quite refreshing.

One of my favourite examples of 'missing the genius' has to be the publisher whose rejection of George Orwell's Animal Farm  stated 'Animal stories don't sell in the USA.'

And then there's William Golding's original manuscript for Lord of the Flies.  An editor had attached a note to the top of the work stating  'This man will never make a writer.'

But back to the present. In the current 'Bookseller', a reviewer rates Julie Cohen's Dear Thing  'a cut above The Cuckoo's Calling.'  I've met Julie several times and she's one of those successful novelists who, as a tutor of creative writing, always encourages writers to follow their dream.

'It's a story that's close to my heart for so many reasons' she says on her website. 'I hope it touches you, too.'


    http://www.thebookseller.com/news/galbraith-reviewed.html


 

4 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Thank you for thinking of me! I will catch a few minutes here and there to visit. Taking a lunch break now.
Will have to check out the book...
(())

Guernsey Girl said...

Here's sending you very best wishes, Francie - wish I could send you the book, too!

Barbara said...

I’m intrigued! I will have to check out dear thing to see if it is a story close to my own heart.

Guernsey Girl said...

Let me know if you have any trouble finding it xx